Registration – Breakfast & Fellowship
Welcome – Sally Wiggin, WTAE-TV News
Opening Prayer – The Rev. Barry Mariana, Pastor, Christ Church at Grove Farm
Welcome – The Rev. Canon Dr. Jay Geisler, Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh
Keynote Speaker – Shane Claiborne “Reimagining Community – Building Bridges & Tearing Down Walls”
Shane Claiborne Q & A
Break & Visit Display Tables
10:30–12:00 pm Session One (Five Tracks)
1A. Addiction 101 – Learn the basics of addiction and recovery including the Christian roots of 12 Step Programs.
- The Rev. Canon Dr. Jay Geisler, Chair, The Oasis Recovery Center & CLEAR
- Tim Dietz, Christian Counselor
2A. When Young Adults Move Back Home: A Mother & Daughter Conversation – Increasingly, young adults are moving back home with their parents for a period after college, resulting in stress in both generations. Listen to a mother and daughter discuss their own experience and process over time.
- Rachel Kornfield Becker, MSW, LSW, Pittsburgh Pastoral Institute, Daughter
- Debbie Kornfield, RN, Counselor, Pittsburgh, Mother
3A. Caring for Children – Learn how churches can support children and families during times of childhood illnesses.
- The Rev. Richard Freeman, Sr., Chaplain, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
4A. Building Inter-Racial Partnerships in Communities – A discussion of how pastors can build inter-racial partnerships among congregations and address racism in our churches.
- Moderator: The Rev. Lorraine Williams, Pastor, Stanton Heights UM Church
- The Rev. Paul E. Roberts, Senior Pastor, Eastminster Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh
5A. Spirituality Friendship & Singleness – Single Christians, alongside their fellow believers who are married, are called to give and receive love in committed, reliable and tangible ways.
- Dr. Wesley Hill, Assistant Professor, Biblical Studies, Trinity School for Ministry
- The Rev. Aidan Smith, Director of Recruitment, Trinity School for Ministry
12:00–1:00 pm – LUNCH
- Presentation “Dave Else Award”
- Presentation – Allegheny County Foster Care System
- Presentation – Overdose Crisis
Break & Visit Display Tables
1:45–3:15 pm Session Two (Five Tracks)
1B. Pornography – Growing Problem in our Culture – Forty million Americans regularly visit porn sites and a third of these viewers are women. Almost half (47%) of families say pornography is a problem in their homes. Christian viewers of porn mirror the national average.
- David Posipanka, Ph.D., Behavioral Health Coach & Christian Counselor
- The Rev. Dr. Jim Weidenaar, Harvest USA, Pittsburgh
2B. Moral Injury with Veterans – Military serving in war are often confronted with ethical and moral challenges which could result in shame, guilt, demoralization and self-defeating behaviors. Learn how you can help repair the moral wounds of war.
- The Rt. Rev. Fr. Alan Morris, B.C.C., MaME, Clinical Chaplain, VA Hospital, Pittsburgh
- Doug & Bea Miller, Team Leaders, Serving Our Sentinels
3B. Everyone Plays a Role in Youth Suicide Prevention: What is Yours? – Review the warning signs, risk, and protective factors associated with youth suicide and learn about local and national resources for prevention, intervention and postvention efforts.
- Paula S. McCommons, Ed.D., Director, STAR-Center Outreach, Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic (WPIC) and Mental Health Liaison, Allegheny County SAP WPIC
4B. Building Faith Communities in a Time of Crisis – Pastors will learn how congregations can best respond to gun violence, fear, and the threat of terrorism in their communities.
- Chief Cameron McLay, Pittsburgh Police Department
- The Rev. Glenn G. Grayson, Sr., Wesley Center AME, Hill District
5B. Pastoring Across the Political Divide – Listen to some seasoned pastors as they guide us on how they respond to members of their congregations who hold conflicting views on divisive issues.
- Moderator: The Rev. Mark K. Richardson, Sr. Pastor, New Life Church of God, Pittsburgh
- The Rev. Mr. Jerry Bowyer, Economist, Author, Columnist, Broadcast Personality
- The Rev. Rickey Burgess, Sr. Pastor, Nazarene Baptist Church & Pittsburgh City Council
- Shane Claiborne, The Simple Way
- The Rt. Rev. Dorsey McConnell, Bishop, Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh