History of Christ Church, Indiana
The Honorable Thomas White, one of the first members, purchased two lots on the corner of Philadelphia and Ninth Streets which were donated to the congregation in the early 1850′s. On October 13, 1855, the deed was made and Christ Episcopal Church of the Diocese of Pennsylvania was organized. A church was constructed the following year. This original building was destroyed by fire in December 1899. Reconstruction began immediately, and the present structure was completed in 1901.
The Diocese of Pittsburgh was formed in 1866 to better support Episcopal Churches in the western part of the state, such as Christ Church in Indiana. In 1965, after 110 years as an aided congregation, Christ Church became a self-supporting parish.
The Rev. William L. Geiger was called as Rector of Christ Church in August of 1999. His predecessor, the Rev. Author C. Dilg, having served the parish for 29 years as Rector, is recognized as Rector Emeritus.